Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Processes, Processes.....

Yesterday, I had to get up a little early to start my day. Normally, I wouldn't mind so much, but yesterday was Columbus Day. A glorified holiday in the banking world. Its a day that all the bankers and post office workers get the day off, while the rest of the world works. October is the beginning of a series of these little holidays for those who work in a bank. Making this the perfect time of year to be scheduleing so many tests and trips across town to the hospital.

My appointment yesterday was two-fold. I was to turn in my second round of pee jugs (which also means bloodwork-gag!) and I was to have my visit with the social worker. After my last visit with Mark -the renal donor coordinator- he told me I was down to the last few schedulings. He told me I would meet with the social worker, then the psychologist, then Nathanial and I would meet with the surgeon and the nephrologist to schedule THE day.

I wasn't quite sure I needed to meet with a social worker. Actually, I didn't even know what the social worker's role was. Nathanial told me she was a super sweet lady and I would like her. I honestly haven't met one person that works in the renal department that I haven't liked. But, I'm getting off track now. I had to be in the renal department of the hospital by 8am. Driving there takes about 30 minutes during rush hour plus I had to consider parking and walking through the crazy parking garage and getting to the 6th floor. And anyone who knows me knows I HATE being late to anything. I decided to leave the house around 7:15 which meant the kids were on their own for getting on the bus and getting themselves out the door at the right time. That isn't too much of a big deal for them. They have had to do that several times lately due to all of my testing and appointments. On a side note, the kids haven't complained one single time. They are the best little cheerleaders! They always give me extra kisses and hugs in the morning when they know I am having a day faced with needles. And then the first thing out of their mouths when they get home that evening is always "how did the doctors go?". They are just as excited to have Nathanial better as the rest of the family.

I arrived at the hospital at 8:03 according to my car, but I always have my car clock set ten mintues fast to trick myself into always being early. Drives Geoff crazy!! By the time I got up to the renal office to meet with the social worker it was right on the dot, 8 o'clock. Beth Smith, the social worker, came out to greet me. She was a tiny little brown haired lady that imediately made me feel comfortable. She couldn't find an office for us to meet in so we wandered up and down the hall for a few minutes looking for an open space. All the while, my pee jug was splish-sploshing around in my bag. We found an open office and she told me to make myself comfortable. Basically, her job for the day was to give me a sort of interview to deterimine if I really was willing to be Nathanial's donor for all the right reasons.

She asked me questions about financial issues. She asked me questions about my kids feelings about the surgery. She asked me how Geoff felt. She asked me how long I had thought about doing this. She asked me how my employer was going to handle my leave of absense. She asked me who was my support system and who would take care of me after the transplant. She talked with me about what it was that happened to Nathanial to get him to where he is now. She asked me what I would do if it turned out that the transplant didn't work. All these questions and topics were discussed over the course of about an hour. Apparently she approved of my reasons behind why I am doing this for Nathanial, because at the end of the interview she said when the transplant team met and they asked her for her 'yay' or 'nay'on continuing with the procedure as me being the donor, she was going to give me a resounding 'yay'.

YAY! One more obsticle down!

After visiting with the social worker I was sent to the lab. The lady who works the front desk from the lab now knows me by name. 'Hi Hilary', she greeted as I walked (as slowly as I could) through the door of the lab. I sat my bag down and pulled out my pee jug to walk over and give to her. I was sick and tired of hauling that stupid jug around with me everywhere for the last 24 hours so that was at least a good thing! She had me scribble down my height and weight and what time I started and ended collection. Then I had a seat to wait for the BS. BS= blood sucker.

The idea of me getting blood drawn doesn't panic me as much as it did even a few weeks ago. I'm actually very proud of myself for how brave I was yesterday. The BS came to call me to the back room and my stomach didn't even turn like it normally does. The nurse was a very funny guy this time and cracked a lot of jokes. He was young and energetic and very different than the nurses I'm used to. As he was poking around looking for a good vein I mentioned that I was still bruised from the last time they drew blood. He told me he could use a different vein if I wanted him to, but I declined the offer and told him just to use whatever vein was going to be the easiest for him. He said back to me,'do you really mean that? I can use whatever vein is easiest for me? Because my patients tend to get a little uneasy when I tie this rubber strap around their neck." See what I mean? He was funny! ....and if he thought for a second that he was going to use a neck vein of mine to get blood out of he wasn't just funny....he was CRAZY too!!

The blood drawing went well and I was out of the hospital by 10am to go enjoy the rest of my Columbus Day holiday. My next appointment is with a psychologist tomorrow. I guess they don't want to use mentally unstable people's kidneys?? Either way, she is the last person I will see prior to actually scheduling the transplant!! My kidney is anxiously awaiting his new home!

Until next time~
Hilary

No comments:

Post a Comment