Saturday, October 10, 2009

You have died of Dysentary

I'm not going to die of dysentary. I'm much more likely to die of dehydration or hunger. I promised in my last blog that I would write next about the Renal diet. I suppose you could call it a 'diet', I do lose weight. Mostly because I can't eat anything that tastes good.



All people on dialysis have to be on a Renal diet plan, though the extremes of the diet vary greatly from person to person. Basically, if you can't pee, your body fills up with toxins normally urinated out of your body. Dialysis attempts to remove both the toxins and the excess water, but it cannot do it all. So, you are to avoid certain foods that are high in these toxins.



There are LOTS of different toxins out there in LOTS of different food items. Shoot, even things that are good to eat for normal people end up being bad for dialysis people. The biggest toxin, and the one I struggle with the most, is Phosphorus. Phosphorus is found in ALL food. There is no way to avoid it, so I have to take special pills called 'phosphate binders' with every meal or snack.



As I'm eating, I take a chewable phosphate binder that removes the phosphate from the food I ate and turns it immediately into poop. That's right, poop. My body will then discharge the phosphates the next time I go to the bathroom. Which is usually some time in the next five minutes. That is why I can't go out to eat any more. My pills send me to the bathroom usually before I'm even done eating the meal.



There are lots of high phosphate foods. These are the foods I'm not supposed to eat very much of. This hurts, because I LOVE these foods. Here's a short list: Nuts, Beans, Okra, Chocolate, Pancakes, Biscuits, Waffles, etc... Then the big one...dairy products. That's right, all forms of dairy are high in phosphorus. Milk, Cheese, Ice Cream, etc... I LOVE drinking milk. I used to drink it every day. I LOVE ice cream. I used to eat it all the time. Don't even get me started on cheese. Cheese goes with EVERYTHING. Cheese goes ON everything. Cheese goes IN everything. Cheese makes up a major portion of my diet!



There is another toxin I struggle with: Potassium. This is something that's good for normies (what I call normal people). When I was younger, I used to seek out high potassium food and drink because it helped me avoid leg cramps. I used to get HORRIBLE leg cramps, so bananas and milk (that's right, it's high in phosphorus AND potassium), All Sport and other potassium high stuff was a constant in my life. Now, I'm supposed to avoid them.



This makes it MORE difficult to find appropriate food and drink. I LOVE fruit juices, but all forms of citrus are high in potassium. Orange, Grapefruit, Cranberry, etc... And it gets worse. That's right, even worse than having to avoid cheese. There are two food items that are super high in potassium that I love to eat and are in most every dish I eat: Potatoes and Tomatoes. Both these items show up as ingredients in almost every meal I've ever eaten. These are constant staples in my diet. They're cheap, diverse, and we even grow them in our backyard garden!



There is one particular thing I'm supposed to eat LOTS of...protein. Protein helps your body heal, so anyone who is sick or in the hospital is supposed to eat lots of protein to keep their albumin levels high. But, there's a problem. All proteins (that is meat, fish, eggs) are also high in phosphorus. It's a catch 22. Darned if you do, darned if you don't.



So, that's how the Renal diet works. It's incredibly annoying and stops you from eating most stuff that tastes good. I've never gotten a good report on my toxin levels because if one gets low (phosphorus) then the albumin is low too.



Good. Bad. It doesn't matter. I know that the build up of these toxins will end up killing me, but sometimes I just want to eat some cheesey mashed potatoes! :)



Grace and Peace,

-Nat

No comments:

Post a Comment