Saturday, October 10, 2009

Urine My Heart, Urine My Soul


My mom is worried sick. When we met with the nephrologist and the kidney donor coordinator a couple of weeks ago, she was teary almost the entire meeting. I don't blame her....as a mother myself, I know worrying about your children comsumes 90% of your life. I can't fathom if two of my three kids were going to be having major surgery, in the same month, on the same day, at the same time!! My mom doesn't handle stress well anyway. My dad is the calm one in moments of stress. He just acts goofy and tells bad jokes :) But he keeps my mom grounded and calm-er when they're together. Unfortunately, I just found out my dad is getting ready to leave for about a month for work......which means he will be gone when Nathanial and I have surgery.


I don't know how this will work out exactly for my mom. I'm very worried for her on that day. She will have my three kids to keep her company in the waiting room. She'll have Kristian, my youngest brother, to keep her company. She'll have my husband there with her. And I'm sure she'll have my granny Doris also. But she won't have my dad....her rock.


I know my dad, and I know dad will make every effort to make it for part of the day somehow. His job sends him all over the country and when he's on a 'mission' he can't just call in for a personal day. Even when his excuse is that his daughter AND his son are both going to be having major surgery that day. I know it will kill him not being there as well. Do you really think he will be focused on work that day? Hardly. Fortunately, I don't think dad will be too far away for this mission. I just hope they go easy on dad that day and let him leave a little early or something.


You know, really, when it all comes down to it, its really my parents fault that Nathanial and I will both be in surgery at the same time. They only have themselves to blame. Mom and dad are the ones that ALWAYS made me share with my brothers when we were younger. All the time as a child I was told to share. Share, share, share. Sometimes I even had to share dumb things like my Barbies! I would whine about how the Barbies were mine and they were in my room so why should I have to share with Kristian when he came in and wanted to play. (yes-Kristian used to want to play Barbies with me!) We would have to share our toys in the playroom..... and share the Nintendo...... and share our snacks.... and share our blankets when we would camp in the tent in the backyard. Mom and dad bred us to share. So when I hear someone make a remark on how brave I am, all I can say is "my dad always told me to share".


~Hilary

No comments:

Post a Comment