Thursday, November 19, 2009

Stand Still

The days are dragging by as slowly as possible now that everything is up in the air. Today should have been my day three with no kidney. I should be in a lot of pain today and on a lot of drugs, feasting on hospital food and being forced to walk even though I would rather not. Instead I am still packing the kids' lunches and going to the bank all day. I'm still coming home and letting the puppies out and making dinner and running kids around. I still have this extra kidney. And Nathanial still has none.

Monday, Nat and mom came to town for a bunch of hospital tests to see what all was wrong with him and what all the doctors think they can do. Nathanial described one test as the most painful thing, next to kidney stones, that he has ever lived through. He was in so much pain when he came to our house it made me angry. He kept taking his oxycodone (sp?) and wincing everytime he tried to re-arrange his legs. He didn't sleep at all Monday night. (Although, Mace, our little black puppy, slept quite comfortably next to Nathanial in the guest room!) The next morning Nathanial was scheduled for another test, a cat scan, at a seperate hospital here in town. Conclusively, the doctors think Nathanial has pneumonia....even though he says he feels fine. They also determined his liver is enlarged and they want to find out why. While I am frustrated to not be done with the transplant right now, I am thankful that the doctors are giving Nat the attention he deserves now. Next Monday, the 23rd, the physicians have scheduled another meeting with Nathanial. They said, provided all the tests look okay, they may set a new date for a transplant at that time.

I'm not holding my breath.

In fact, I'm doing the opposite. I painted my nails again (I had all my polish removed for weeks in preparation for surgery). I started taking my Advil Sinus again for my headaches....the nephrologist told me that was hard on my kidneys. I am doing whatever I can to temp Murphy. Murphey's Law and I do this dance often. You see, when I plan and I have things ready to go.....guaranteed something will go wrong. So, when I don't plan, sure enough things happen that should have been planned for. There really is a method to my madness!

No comments:

Post a Comment