Saturday, November 21, 2009

Gross Long Day

On Friday, I went to dialysis. I always go to dialysis on Fridays, but this day was different. I made a mistake. Normally, before I leave the house for anywhere (which lately means dialysis) I clear out. I go to the bathroom, and I pick my nose clean of all boogers. Yes, yes, I know that's gross. I have a big hole for a nose. I'm self concious about people seeing my nose boogers, especially at dialysis where the nurses get really close and I'm leaning back in a recliner. In fact, I carry a small pocket mirror with me, so I can check out my nose and make sure it's clear.

Anyway, I start dialysis around 6:00, by 8:30, I REALLY had to go to the bathroom. I had the nurses unhook me and I waddled as fast as I could to the bathroom. After a long trip to the bathroom, I went back and got plugged into the dialysis machine again. Not long later, I REALLY had to go again. I had only 15 minutes left, so I just quit early.

I had been feeling pretty bad for awhile. It wasn't just frequent trips to the bathroom with massive diarrea, I also had the chills. Normally, if I get the chills, I've got a temperature. Not so this time. So now I've got the chills, diarrea, stomach cramps and I feel like puking. I hadn't eaten anything all day. Every time I took a drink, I had to run to the bathroom. I was sitting at home in the recliner, rocking back and forth, pretty much just being miserable. Any plans I had for the day were shot!

Now, my dad was home, watching me like a hawk. He gets real worried when I start rocking back and forth. After an hour and no progress, he decides it's time to go to the hospital.

My mom has to leave work early, we need her van to drive to the hospital. She has missed SO much work to drive me to doctors and hospitals. Anyway, by now I'm dehydrated. The constant diarrea, along with dialysis has literally drained me. This tends to make my legs cramp. I've got an hour drive to the hospital in Topeka, with diarrea, and leg cramps.

I end up taking an oxycodone for the cramping pain as well as anti diarrea medicine. Things start going a little better. Unfortunately, (fortunately?) by the time we arrive at the hospital, I feel fine. I had been suffering for hours and when we finally arrive where I can get some help...I don't need help any more. This is annoying. Regardless of how I feel, we go inside. They do some lab work and do something I most needed...SALINE!!! I know that requires an IV, but my oxycodone was still working. I got the IV put in and that precious water began flowing through my veins. I felt MUCH better, very quickly.

I guess our bodies are made up of quite a bit of water. Being dehydrated stinks! It feels so bad not to have enough liquid in you, even though you probably don't know why you feel so bad. Anywho, a couple hours later, they let me go home. I feel fine now that the diarrea has stopped and I'm rehydrated.

Despite the long day, it ends up quite a pleasant evening. I even got some sleep that night. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment