Monday, May 17, 2010

Pass the Mayo

Actually I'd like to pass the Mayo (Clinic) but it's something I've got to do to donate a kidney. I got the list of tests and procedures (fancy word for 'you won't like this') that they are going to perform to see if I can donate. Most of them have NOTHING to do with my kidney function. I think they just want to see how many embarrassing things they can do in a 3 day period.
And, they sent another urine jug to fill. Hello, I'm traveling 8 hours to get there! Now I'm supposed to carry a little jug with me every time I stop for a rest room break. I'm going to get some weird stares.
Most every test also says not to eat so many hours before the test. I've looked them over. Apparently I'm not going to be eating for 3 days because there is another test with fasting every day, sometimes twice! It's a good thing I've got enough built-in reserves to last several days.
The only thing I am concerned about is passing the blood pressure test. It's very close to normal but that's measuring with a home BP gauge. I've got to wear an 18 hour BP gauge while I'm there. Of course having invasive 'procedures' won't raise my blood pressure any!! They need a little thing like you measure tire pressure with so you can get an instant reading.
Hopefully all will go well and we can finally get this transplant over with and NAT can get back to normal. If we can do that, it'll all be worth it. Otherwise someone will owe me a dinner for the 'procedures'.

No comments:

Post a Comment